I was tagged on Facebook with this meme by at least three people. Fortunately nobody sent it by email because I totally hate spam. Not one to follow the crowd, I chose to ignore it and just let it die. But then I got the inspired to turn this excessive waste of Internet bandwidth into something constructive and inspiring—something that I hope will start a world-changing revolution.
Here is my list of 25 things that you need to know about me, with thanks to Pastor David Koop, who, over ten years ago, first introduced me to “Who I Am”, scripture-based affirmations of our true identity.
Special Note: The complete list is endless as to be eternal.
Who I am in Christ
- I am a child of God
- I am led by the Holy Spirit who lives inside me
- I live by faith and not by sight
- I worship God in spirit and in truth
- I know my tongue is to my body like a rudder of a ship, and choose my words carefully to steer my life
- I am quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry
- I speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves
- God gave me a spirit of power, love and self-discipline
- I am a love letter from Christ, written with the Spirit of the living God on the tablet of my heart
- I bear the fruit of the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control
- I make the most of every opportunity to know and do the Lord’s will
- I wear the full armour of God at all times for protection from evil
- I am a man who prays in the spirit on all occasions, unceasingly, without losing hope
- The Lord builds my house, on the solid foundation which is His word
- I love my wife as Christ loves the church and would give up my life for her
- I discipline my sons in love, as even the Lord disciplines me
- I know my God has great plans for me and my future
- I use money wisely, and give generously and cheerfully, knowing God is faithful to supply all my needs according to His riches in glory
- I resolve conflict before going to bed
- I know my God is faithful to protect me from temptation, and He is equally faithful to forgive me for my imperfection when I confess my wrongful actions
- I fix my thoughts on things that are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and worthy of praise.
- I am prepared to answer, with gentleness and respect, for my hope in Jesus
- I resist the devil and he flees from me
- I draw near to God, and He draws near to me
- By faith I see the Lord seated on the throne, never changing, and returning in glory
Bonus thought: (the free gift)
- I have been made righteous by the free gift of God, which is the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross
Finally, my brethren
There is a running joke that the apostle Paul often closed with the phrase, “Finally, my brethren,” then carried on for several chapters beyond. Not in the spirit of Paul, I offer only a few closing thoughts.
The Bible predates me, so I can’t claim any any copyright to this list. Feel free to share this list with anyone, print a copy to read daily, or post it on your own blog. Better still, compile your own list of affirmations based on what God shows you about you. In my introduction I said this list is endless—after all, it’s eternal! For example, here’s a version of Who I Am from Joyce Meyers’ website, with links to confessions, prayers, and additional scripture references “for a sound mind”.
I won’t bother to tag anyone with this post. I believe God has already tagged you and is waiting for you to respond.
Credits: The photo in this article was taken in 2004 by my friend Chris Pike, to date the only photographer ever to catch a decent action shot of me leading worship. The song lyrics in the background are from Hillsong’s Shout of the King (Blessed, 2002). My current favourite is God of our Yesterdays, by Matt Redman. I’ve added it to my music player in the sidebar so you can have a listen.
If you like any of the songs in my player, remember to buy the CDs to support the artists.